Monday, December 7, 2009

Tis the season!


So it has been a while since my last post, and what can I say life has been very busy. I have a new (wink*) interest in my life and have been going to alot of shows. Most notably Monsters of Folk and Mike Perry and the Longbeds.
So after posting my fav fall things list. It seems only natural that I post my favorite things of Winter/Holidays list. Top ten here we go. (in no particular order)

Warning: I come from a family that is very dysfunctional.
We have alot of step-family and step-grandparents etc.
When I was a kid we had to go to 4 Christmas's...Yeah 4!
(You would get to play with your toys the next day before school)
Also my Father at a time was a Pastor. So we were a very religious family when it came to the holidays. So you be the judge if you think this had tainted me at all.

The Not so much

#1 Nov. 1 (Every frigging radio station starts playing Christmas music)
#2 Kids...plain and simple (Their like elves on crystal meth during the holidays)
#3 Extended Family
the only time of the year I feel guilty for not seeing my family, and then I see them and remember why I don't feel guilty.
#4 Mall Santa's
Its just the principle of it, some weird ass smelly old dude that like to have kids sit on his lap?Sorry NFW. I found out the truth when I was 6 so maybe that changed it all for me, that and the fact that every picture of me with the bearded guy before that I was crying my eyes out, while my parents took pictures WTF? I was suspicious for a reason DAD.
#5 Holiday Movies 2.0
Remakes of movies I used to like as a kid...the Santa Claus 3, Home alone 5? Are you serious? That and Christmas classics like Jingle All the Way (Arnold Schwarzenegger) whats better that an action Christmas movie?
#6 The Stress
Because if somehow little Timmy doesn't get a new WebKins then shit will hit the fan, so pray for the extra overtime!
#7 Fruitcake (Only republicans and my great grandma eat this shit)
#8 Black Friday
The day that will make me regret all the mean shit I say about soccer moms on the interstate. (These women are battle hardened and are not to be messed with.)
People will literally stab you if you get in their way especially on black Friday. There's no way I am getting killed over the last two seasons of Seinfeld, and 30 Rock for $10.00
#9 Driving in Wisconsin
it comes with the territory
Sometimes it can be a lot of fun. Ex: handle ebrake and parking lot at 2:00 am
Sometimes sucks: The interstate in any snow storm, riding in the car when anyone else is driving
#10 Temperature
When at times it can get down to -40f We are a people who wear our seasons like a badge of honor. Probably the only people who rate how badass you are by the winters that we you lived (survived) through.

The Favs

#1 Skiing Although I haven't gotten out as much as I like to. It is definitely a sport that is a lot of fun and even more fun with a nice warm buzz

#2 The Food Ham, Jesus I love ham. mmm ham... (I recently heard we might do lasagna this year...i guess that's one less person I have to buy for)

#3 The Drinks Beer, Seasonal Beers, Brandy, Brandy Slush's, Tom and Jerry Batter,
Eggnog (its ok?), Irish Coffee, Baileys and anything etc. (this is a key element to how I survive each holiday season)

#4 Snow-Bongs Although my extra curricular activities have chilled out much more these days. I do love a good ole zinger full of snow and a little bit of H2O, makes for a nice air cooled blast to the noggin. (Another key element to surviving dysfunctional family functions)

#5 Presents Not for me of course but for others. I don't mind spending the money on the people I love ,and it is great to see the look in their eyes when they get exactly what they want. Me on the other hand I have been asking for a day with out anyone, and not have to buy anyone shit for years. I guess some things are harder to find :)

#6 Layers Some people may not like this: Californians and surfers (Who needs em)I love to wear a couple t-shirts and a sweater or hoodie. Its just more comfortable to me. Despite being born with the one on my Norwegian chest. I love a good ole warm sweater.
#7 Family and Friends Despite #3 on the not so much list. I am really thankful for my close friends and family. They keep me sane and put up with my crap all year, and I love them for it. The best part is the end of christmas day, when we all sit around and have a drink and try to make each other laugh and crack up. Its a blast...

#8 Time off of Work This is a key element to the holidays. Esepecially if you have the day after christmas off. Luckily this year it is on a friday, but this is usually a good time to get drunk and eat left overs.
#9 The Christmas Eve Service
Ok, although I complain about it every year. I really do love going to church on Christmas Eve and singing carols and hymns. In my family we go to a candle lit service and it is really cool.
Its always nice to see all the people with the candles and the church lit up.
#10 The Charlie Brown Christmas Special
I watch it every year and still get choked up. The part when Linus talks about the "true meaning of christmas here come the water works. Growing up a pastors kid this tends to have an effect of you. Also it addresses how commercialized Christmas is and what its really all about. (alot of what is on my "not so much" list is in this show too)


So please feel free to comment and leave a few of your own favs or not so much

No comments:

Post a Comment